A leap year has 366 days, one extra day (Feb 29) over a normal year. Nearly every 4 years is a leap year (97 leap years every 400 years)
Is it a leap year? Last leap year before & next leap year after this year
The leap year algorithm. The three conditions to check in order to know whether a year is a leap or a common one:
1) A leap year can be evenly divided by 4
2) Except if it can be evenly divided by 100 then it isn't a leap year
3) Except if it can be evenly divided by 400, then it's a leap year
Latest checked up years / leap or common years?
Leap Years. Common Years. What are they and why do we need them? Leap years algorithm.
A leap year contains 1 extra day, February 29th, over an ordinary year, 366 vs. 365.
Nearly once every four years, 97 leap years at every 400 years.
They keep the calendar year synchronized with the astronomical year, preventing us, for example, from celebrating Christmas in November.
Every year that is evenly divisible by 4 is a leap year, except for years that are evenly divisible by 100, but these years are leap years if they are evenly divisible by 400:
Examples of leap years.
- Leap years multiples of 4 but not of 100 nor of 400: 1992, 1996, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028;
- Common years (NOT LEAP YEARS) multiples of 100, but not of 400: 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, 2200, 2300;
- Leap years multiples of 400: 1600, 2000, 2400.